Historical

New Orleans African American Museum: Building 2

New Orleans, Louisiana

Architect:  Billes Partners, LLC
Physical Location:  1418 Governor Nicholls, New Orleans, Louisiana 70116

Established in 2000, the mission of the New Orleans African American Museum of Art, Culture, and History is to preserve, interpret, and promote the African American cultural heritage of New Orleans, with a particular emphasis on the Tremé community. (www.noaam.org)

Located in Tremé, Building 2 of the New Orleans African American Museum is the first of ten buildings on the museum’s campus that will be 100% renovated. This building is a historic renovation and now houses administrative offices, a reading room, archives, a conference center, and a multipurpose room. The building’s exterior consists of cypress siding and salvaged wood windows; the interior wood work is also salvaged and has become part of the new building.

 

1731 Baronne Street, ASHE Cultural Arts Center

New Orleans, Louisiana

Architect: CCWIV Architecture LLC.
Physical Location: 1731 Baronne Street, New Orleans, LA 70113

The former New Orleans Public Service Incorporated (NOPSI) Polymnia substation now houses a theatre/performance studio/art gallery for ASHE Cultural Arts Center. This was a complex 13,000 square foot renovation. The theatre houses a theatrical lighting system including stage curtains, pipe grid system, a portable stage and telescoping bleachers, along with a state of the art audiovisual system. ASHE is a non-profit that creates and supports programs, activities, and creative works emphasizing the contributions of people of African descent.

 

New Orleans African American Museum: Passebon Cottage

New Orleans, Louisiana

Architect: Billes Partners, LLC
Physical Location: 1418 Governor Nicholls, New Orleans, Louisiana 70116

Stabilization of Passebon Cottage, just one of the buildings that make up the New Orleans African American Museum, is complete. The 19th century cottage was temporarily shored so that new foundations and structural elements could be constructed to support a new temporary roof. The complete process took about 6 weeks.

 

1725 Baronne Street, Tulane City Center

New Orleans, Louisiana

Architect: CCWIV Architecture LLC.
Physical Location: 1725 Baronne Street, New Orleans, LA 70113

The construction at 1725 Baronne Street, a former furniture store in the Dryades Shopping District, is the new headquarters for Tulane City Center and reached substantial completion in June 2014. Some of the features of this renovation include sealed concrete flooring, poly carbonate panels in the offices and conference room, refurbished historical windows, and painted bead board ceilings in the lobby.

 

Ursuline Convent

New Orleans, Louisiana

Physical Address: 1100 Chartres Street, New Orleans, LA 70116

This scope of work included exterior and interior renovations to the ceilings and walls at Ursuline Convent and St. Mary’s Church to repair water damages post Hurricane Katrina. A complete tear off and replacement of the entire roof back to pre-Katrina conditoins was completed, along with a rebuild of one of the original existing fireplace chimneys, which was blown down during the hurricane.

The Old Ursuline Convent is the oldest building in the Mississippi River Valley. Completed in 1752, it is also the oldest surviving example of the French colonial period in the United States. Often referred to as the Archbishop Antoine Blanc Memorial Complex, the Old Ursuline Convent also houses the Archdiocesan archives. The building is known as the “treasure of the archdiocese.”

 

Rhodes Funeral Home

New Orleans, Louisiana

Architect: WHL Architecture
Physical Location: 3933 Washington Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70125

The renovation to this building includes two canopies, which are attached to the building, the concrete stamping at the front porch, installation of ornamental guardrails, and the concrete staining and scoring of the Plaza and Load-Out area. One of the canopies provides a “drive-thru” area for the funeral home vehicles that will allow visitors to enter into one of the main lobby areas. The second canopy area is positioned behind the chapel to also provide a covered area for the guests of the funeral home. The Rhodes family has added high quality finishes to their front porch entrance, as well as the plaza and load-out area. The front porch consists of a random slate patterned concrete stamping, which compliments the attractive marble Wainscot panels on the face of the building. The concrete at the plaza and load-out areas are stained and scored with a running bond pattern. Ornamental guardrails, which incorporate a design developed by the owner, are installed around the perimeter of the front porch and plaza area.

The building’s interior is truly stunning with numerous chandeliers throughout the lobbies and main chapel area. Operable partitions define the space for the parlor room with all included recessed ceilings. The funeral home’s arrangement room includes slat walls that will allow the owner to display various products related to their business. The chapel area, which includes a magnificent plaster proscenium wall, is the showcase of the funeral home. This plaster wall incorporated many of the original plaster pieces salvaged after Hurricane Katrina. The large crystal chandeliers hang from the high chapel ceiling and provide an inviting ambiance. The floors throughout the building consist of tile and carpet, which transition nicely between the lobbies, restrooms, offices, and parlor rooms. The chapel area has dark wood flooring that blends with the pews.

 

Old U. S. Mint Exhibit & Performance Venue

New Orleans, Louisiana

Architect: Eskew+Dumez+Ripple Architects
Physical Location: 400 Esplanade Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70116

Eskew+Dumez+Ripple Architects, along with their acoustical and theatrical consultants, have envisioned and held this performance venue to the standards of a world class studio with an audience capacity of 252 people.  The acoustically sounded theatre is equipped with state-of-the-art theatrical lighting, performance audio and visual systems, voice isolation booth for recording purposes, and a 103 inch plasma screen television for audience viewing purposes, all of which are operated through the venue’s control and machine rooms.  The performers of the venue are provided with the comfort of their own private dressing rooms, restrooms, and a green room before, after, and during their performances.  The theatre is shelled with sound diffusing materials, including the 12 foot tall perimeter walls composed of hand-crafted movable and stationary panels to ensure the highest quality acoustics. Externally, new path and tree lighting as well as signage located on Barracks Street and Esplanade Avenue have been added.